Friday, August 12, 2005

My First Blog Post

My name is Herman Cardenas and I am Chairman and Founder of NetStreams, a company based in Austin Texas. NetStreams was formed with the idea that all consumer electronics (your TV, DVD player, Speakers, PC etc) in the home will distribute their entertainment content and communicate with each other using TCP/IP (the same language as the internet).

Why TCP/IP? It's the same language as the Internet. The architecture makes it easily expandable. It's an open protocol, so it's easier to configure a system to communicate with and control a variety of products from a variety of manufacturers. And it's the same language that the computers in your home use to talk to each other.

No Question -- IP is the future.

With this vision, Netsteams created and shipped DigiLinX, the world's first IP-Based Multi-Room Audio system in the market. (IP-Based meaning that the system distributes audio, data, and control over TCP/IP).

So what's so difficult about creating an IP-Based Multi-Room Audio system? Well the biggest issue that NetStreams overcame is the ability to synchronize the audio. Synchronization of high quality audio is important in a Multi-Room Audio system. Why? TCP/IP was primarily developed to distribute data, and never designed to be real-time. Imagine if I'm sitting in a room with 3 people and I send one email to all of them. We're all in the same room, but one person might get it before another person and so on. With audio, if you're listening to the same song in the kitchen and the dining room over an IP-Based system without synchronization, you would hear a strong echoing effect when you're walking from one room to another.

Maybe you're wondering why I wrote this blog? Well... several reasons....

  • I wanted to share, with interested people, my thoughts on the future of home entertainment and technologies, as wellas my personal experience with the same.
  • I know that from my experience as a home builder that choosing the right technology and wiring for your home (whether it's a new build or a remodel) is a confusing and frustrating experience for many, so I thought I might be able to help.
  • And of course, I'd like to hear your comments and ideas.

Best,

Herman

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Herman

Your blog is an excellent initiative! Thank you. I'm about to invest a sizeable sum into one of your systems (in Switzerland), and so have visited your company web site often - I was a little disappointed by the lack of news or 'new stuff'. Your blog is the ideal solution, plus its always good to hear from the boss of a company, especially in such a new industry.

With best regards
MSM

Herman said...

MSM,

Thanks for your kind comments. Our team has been working hard to launch some new products next week at the CEDIA show in Indianapolis, Indiana. My VP of Marketing tells me that the website will be updated day and date with the first day of the show (9/9). Stay tuned for more info.

Best,
Herman

Anonymous said...

Herman
I was one of your first dealers in the northeast, and I have come to love selling and installing netsteams systems.. let's keep it rolling with lot's of new features

Anonymous said...

Herman,

I've been working with IP since 1983 as both a network engineer and programmer. I am a big fan of IP integration in the home audio market. It was the main reason I became a dealer and started an integration company. What I think Netstreams (and the entire industry) is missing is the reason for using an open protocol like IP. The products need to be open and easy to integrate to.

I was very excited about Digilinx two years ago when I saw them at CEDIA but I have not been able to use them because they don't work with everything we need.

Someone in the industry needs to figure out how to take advantage of the IP platform to allow rapid integration of other devices.

Regards,
John
Netstreams Musica Dealer
Knoxville TN